Ashwagandha. The world has flocked to this ancient medical herb. Over the past year, it has become increasingly popular as consumers look for natural, plant-based supplements that aid in stress relief and to help with anxiety.
In this article, we explore how you can use CBD and ashwagandha as a natural supplement in your stress relief routine.
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is a small shrub with yellow flowers that is most commonly found in India and parts of northern Africa. Ashwagandha’s scientific name is Withania somnifera. However, you might also hear ashwagandha referred to as Indian ginseng or winter cherry.
Does Ashwagandha Relieve Stress?
Ashwagandha is classified as an adaptogen.
Adaptogens or adaptogenic substances are used in herbal medicine for the claimed stabilization of physiological processes and promotion of homeostasis. Source
In layman’s terms: Yes, ashwagandha can aid in stress relief. And in fact, it has been used as an ancient herbal medicine for more than 3,000 years.
The US Library of Medicine states:
Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) is very revered herb of the Indian Ayurvedic system of medicine as a Rasayana (tonic). It is used for various kinds of disease processes and specially as a nerve tonic. Considering these facts many scientific studies were carried out and its adaptogenic / anti-stress activities were studied in detail. In experimental models it increases the stamina of rats during swimming endurance test and prevented adrenal gland changes of ascorbic acid and cortisol content produce by swimming stress.
Using Ashwagandha as a Stress Relief Aid
From the stresses at work to caring for children to everyday events that cause our blood to boil, consumers have started to turn to Ashwagandha.
Now, it’s already known and reported by users that CBD alone is a powerful anti-anxiety and stress-relieving cannabinoid found in the hemp plant.
Ashwagandha is just one more to add to the list, and it’s backed by multiple studies, as the herb has been used for centuries. Here are some more modern applications of ashwagandha as a stress relief aid:
- The treatment group that was given the high-concentration full-spectrum Ashwagandha root extract exhibited a significant reduction (P<0.0001) in scores on all the stress-assessment scales on Day 60, relative to the placebo group. Read more
- Seventy-five participants (93%) were followed for 8 or more weeks on the trial. Significant differences between groups were also observed in mental health, concentration, fatigue, social functioning, vitality, and overall quality of life with the NC group exhibiting greater clinical benefit. No serious adverse reactions were observed in either group. Read more
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy an ethanolic extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), in patients with ICD-10 anxiety disorders. Statistical trends favoring the drug were observed at both time points. At 6 weeks, significantly more patients met a priori response criteria in the drug group (88.2%) as compared with the placebo group (50%). The drug was well-tolerated and did not occasion more adverse effects than did placebo. Read more
- It’s also linked to studies that report a reduction in cortisol levels. Lowering cortisol levels go hand-in-hand with reducing stress, calming your mind, and giving yourself a break. Read more
Looking to use CBD THC gummies for anxiety and stress? Click here to learn more.
What are Additional Benefits of Ashwagandha?
But it doesn’t just stop there. Ashwagandha has been linked to many more potential health benefits and uses, including…
- Fighting Depression
- Reducing Blood Sugar Levels
- Anti-Cancer Properties
- Boosts Testosterone, Helps Build Muscle
- Reduces Inflammation
- Improve Memory
- Lower Cholesterol
The herb has been a staple in many ancient cultures and has now been adopted into modern use, growing substantially over the past year.
Using CBD and Ashwagandha Together
At Moonwlkr, we are familiar with how much relief CBD has provided with our users. So it was a no-brainer to combine these two powerful herbs together.
We’ve taken Full Spectrum CBD and infused it with Ashwagandha to deliver the best of both worlds. While both can provide powerful anti-stress relief, no two plants are the same. CBD and ashwagandha can be a powerful – but natural – combination to incorporate as part of your stress aid routine.
Here’s a study on how CBD contributed to better sleep and a calmer mind:
A crossover study comparing CBD with nitrazepam found that high-dose CBD at 160 mg increased the duration of sleep. Another crossover study showed that plasma cortisol levels decreased more significantly when given oral CBD, 300 to 600 mg, but these patients experienced a sedative effect. The higher doses of CBD that studies suggest are therapeutic for anxiety, insomnia, and epilepsy may also increase mental sedation. Read more
Can You Take CBD and Ashwagandha Together?
Yes, there is no evidence that taking CBD and ashwagandha together is unsafe. You can absolutely try taking CBD tincture and an ashwagandha supplement in measured doses together. But there is an easier way. Our team of expert chemists have combined these two powerful herbs into a single delicious gummy.
The CBD and Ashwagandha gummy is designed to potentially help reduce your stress and anxiety.
How Should I Dose Ashwagandha and CBD Together?
Moonwlkr CBD and ashwagandha gummies have 25mg CBD and 150mg ashwagandha for users to receive maximum benefits from both herbs.
For the best results for you, we recommend taking a single gummy for 30-60 days and analyzing and measuring your own experience while finding the ideal dosage. Then, you can experiment with how it feels to take slightly more or less.
You can incorporate these gummies for a consistent use on a daily basis. Or, try incorporating a larger dose when you’re anticipating more stress or anxiety.
If you’re interested in trying CBD and Ashwagandha for anxiety, check out this complete dosage guide.