We’ve all been there…
Smoking on some fresh strains of marijuana and before you know it, you’re down the web in an Uber Eats black hole, trying to pick out the perfect meal to feed your munchies.
So when Delta 8 THC arrived on the scene, we had the same question as you.
Does Delta 8 Make You Hungry?
The simple answer is yes, it does make you hungry. The reason for this has to do with how your body reacts to the Delta-8 molecule. Like all other cannabinoids, Delta-8 is an agonist—it binds to receptors in the brain and activates them. This causes a response in your body, namely hunger. Even though it’s not a bad thing that Delta-8 makes you hungry (in fact, we encourage eating more!), if you’re someone who doesn’t always feel like eating after taking cannabis products containing this molecule (which can include edibles or vape cartridges), then we recommend switching over to something that doesn’t contain it such as CBN or CBD (or another cannabinoid altogether).
Delta-8 THC is an active compound found in cannabis plants. It’s the same compound that gets you high, but at a lower concentration than regular THC. The reason for this is because Delta 8 THC doesn’t get you as high as regular THC does; however, it’s still very powerful and can cause intense feelings of hunger and increased appetite.
Of course this depends on the amount you smoke (vapes) or consume (edibles), but Delta 8 has been reported to stimulate your appetite, in some cases, even more than Delta 9 (marijuana).
One of our customers, KenzieRae, recorded her experience after trying Delta 8 edibles.
If you’d like to understand why Delta 8 increases your appetite, we’ll dive right in!
What is Delta 8 THC?
Here’s a definition from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) thesaurus:
[Delta 8 is] an analogue of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) with antiemetic, anxiolytic, appetite-stimulating, analgesic, and neuroprotective properties. Delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-8-THC) binds to the cannabinoid G-protein coupled receptor CB1, located in the central nervous system; CB1 receptor activation inhibits adenyl cyclase, increases mitogen-activated protein kinase activities, modulates several potassium channel conductances and inhibits N- and P/Q-type Ca2+ channels. This agent exhibits a lower psychotropic potency than delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-THC), the primary form of THC found in hemp
If you’re feeling confused about what all of that means, fear not. We will break it down for you.
Why Does Delta 8 Make You Hungry?
If you’ve ever smoked weed, you know how it can make you feel. Some people get the munchies and become ravenous, while others experience anxiety and paranoia. But what if there were a way to get the same high without experiencing those side effects?
Delta-8 is a cannabinoid that’s similar to THC but has different effects on your body. The letters “Delta” refer to the location of a double bond in its molecular structure; with Delta-8 being slightly less potent than Delta-9 (the classical form of THC). However, this slight difference means that Delta-8 doesn’t have many of the negative side effects associated with other marijuana strains—like anxiety or paranoia—and may actually reduce pain rather than cause it.
The first step to understanding why Delta 8 makes you hungry is to understand the Endocannabinoid System (or ECS) that every body has. The ECS is the cell-signaling system in our bodies that helps regulate certain functions, including your appetite.
The ECS also helps to regulate:
- Brain function/memory
- Chronic pain
- And more…
The ECS sends signals to the rest of your body in order to process these functions.
For the scientific explanation, just follow this link.
Without getting too carried away, the ECS has 3 main parts to it, but the main part we’re looking at in terms of why Delta 8 makes us hungry is the CB1 receptor.
The CB1 receptor in the ECS helps regulate sleep, pain, metabolism, anxiety, and appetite.
Think of it like a switchboard.
It signals our body that we’re tired, that we’re in pain, that we’re anxious, and in this case, that we’re feeling hungry.
Read more: Does Delta 8 Make You Sleepy?
Now, while further research has to be done in terms of the real cause for WHY Delta 8 makes us hungry, we do know that Delta 8 binds to the CB1 receptor. As stated in our NCI definition above:
Delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-8-THC) binds to the cannabinoid G-protein coupled receptor CB1, located in the central nervous system; CB1 receptor activation inhibits adenyl cyclase, increases mitogen-activated protein kinase activities, modulates several potassium channel conductances and inhibits N- and P/Q-type Ca2+ channels.
However, while it may aid in sleep, reduce pain, relax your body, and increase your appetites, we still need some more research to understand exactly why and how it does its job.
But, what we can tell you based on many customer reviews is that Delta 8 does tend to give people the munchies.
Want to really dive into the science? Check out this report: Very low doses of delta 8-THC increase food consumption and alter neurotransmitter levels following weight loss
What if I don’t want Delta 8 to make me hungry?
Every body processes THC differently. However, different versions of Delta 8 may have different effects for you. If you find that you’re feeling extra hungry when taking Delta 8 edibles, perhaps switch to a vape instead. Or, set yourself up for success by preparing your favorite snacks or ordering food ahead of time.
It’s also important to note that the extent to which Delta 8 makes you hungry is affected by a lot of different factors. These include:
- The type of Delta 8 you smoke. Different strains have different levels of THC and CBD, which can affect how hungry it makes you. For example, some strains have been reported to make users more hungry than others because they contain higher amounts of D8 (which is known to increase appetite).
- How you consume the Delta 8—for example smoking or vaping versus taking D8 edibles. When you smoke or vape, the chemical compounds are absorbed into your bloodstream rapidly and leave your body quickly; this means that when you stop smoking or vaping, those chemicals are gone almost immediately as well compared to when they’re ingested through food or drink. Vaping has been shown in studies like this one from American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Care for example; some people say vaping doesn’t make them feel particularly high but does make them feel relaxed enough so as not get anxious about being high either way.”
Read More: 7 Activities to Enhance the Sensory Effects of Delta 8
Are There Ways to Prevent Delta 8 Munchies?
There are a number of things that can affect how hungry Delta 8 makes you feel. The amount of delta-8 you take, the strain of cannabis you take, the type of food you eat, whether or not it’s your first time using cannabis, and your body weight are all factors that play into how much hunger is caused by delta-8.
You may be able to moderate how hungry delta 8 makes you by evaluating:
- The amount: If someone takes too little delta-8 they may not feel it at all but if they take too much then they will definitely feel the effects of hunger.
- The strain: Different strains have different levels of cannabinoids in them which means if one strain has more THC than another then it’ll likely be more potent than other strains since THC is known for making people hungry after consuming it (and also feeling high).
- Your cadence of use: If this isn’t their first time consuming cannabis then there might be no noticeable changes because their bodies have already adjusted to these chemicals; however, if this is their first time taking these chemicals ever then there might be noticeable changes because their bodies aren’t used to them yet so therefore react differently than someone who has already been taking these chemicals regularly over many years.
Ready to Try Delta 8 Yourself?
n conclusion, it’s important to remember that Delta 8 can make you hungry. The extent to which this happens will depend on a number of factors, including your individual tolerance for the compound and how much food you normally eat throughout the day. If you’re worried about gaining weight or feeling hungry on Delta 8, we recommend consulting with your doctor before using it as part of any treatment plan.
Check out the latest shipping laws to see whether Delta 8 is currently available for purchase online in your state.
Anything to enjoy the stimulating experience that Delta 8 can have on your body AND appetite!
Shop now at Moonwlkr for our full line of Delta 8 vapes and edibles.