We’ve all been there…
Smoking on some fresh strains of marijuana and before you know it, you’re down the web in an Uber Eats black hole, trying to pick out the perfect meal to feed your munchies.
So when Delta 8 THC arrived on the scene, we had the same question as you.
Does Delta 8 Make You Hungry?
The simple answer is yes, it does make you hungry. The reason for this has to do with how your body reacts to the Delta 8 molecule. Like all other cannabinoids, Delta 8 is an agonist—it binds to and activates receptors in the brain. This causes a response in your body, namely hunger. Of course this depends on the amount you smoke (vapes) or consume (edibles), but Delta 8 has been reported to stimulate your appetite, in some cases, even more than Delta 9 (marijuana).
Even though it’s not a bad thing that Delta-8 makes you hungry (in fact, we encourage eating more!), if you’re someone who doesn’t always feel like eating after taking cannabis products containing this molecule (which can include edibles or vape cartridges), then we recommend switching over to something that doesn’t contain it such as CBN or CBD (or another cannabinoid altogether).
Delta 8 THC is an active compound found in cannabis plants. It’s the same compound that gets you high, but at a lower concentration than regular THC. The reason for this is because Delta 8 THC doesn’t get you as high as regular THC does; however, it’s still very powerful and can cause intense feelings of hunger and increased appetite.
One of our customers, KenzieRae, recorded her experience after trying Delta 8 edibles.
Want to know more about what Delta 8 feels like? Head on over to our article where 13 people share their experience with Delta 8.
What is Delta 8 THC?
Here’s a definition from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) thesaurus:
Delta 8 is an analogue of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) with antiemetic, anxiolytic, appetite-stimulating, analgesic, and neuroprotective properties. Delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-8-THC) binds to the cannabinoid G-protein coupled receptor CB1, located in the central nervous system; CB1 receptor activation inhibits adenyl cyclase, increases mitogen-activated protein kinase activities, modulates several potassium channel conductance and inhibits N- and P/Q-type Ca2+ channels. This agent exhibits a lower psychotropic potency than delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-9-THC), the primary form of THC found in hemp
If you’re feeling confused about what all of that means, fear not. We will break it down for you.
Delta 8 is a cannabinoid that’s similar to THC but has different effects on your body. The letters “Delta” refer to the location of a double bond in its molecular structure; with Delta 8 being slightly less potent than Delta 9 (the classical form of THC). However, this slight difference means that Delta 8 doesn’t have many of the negative side effects associated with other marijuana strains—like anxiety or paranoia—and may actually reduce pain rather than cause it.
Why Does Delta 8 Make You Hungry?
If you’ve ever smoked weed, you know how it can make you feel. Some people get the munchies and become ravenous, while others experience anxiety and paranoia. But what if there were a way to get the same high without experiencing those side effects?
The first step to understanding why Delta 8 makes you hungry is to understand the Endocannabinoid System (or ECS) that everybody has. The ECS is the cell-signaling system in our bodies that helps regulate certain functions, including your appetite.
The ECS also helps to regulate:
- Brain function/memory
- Chronic pain
- And more…
The ECS sends signals to the rest of your body in order to process these functions.
For the scientific explanation, just follow this link.
Without getting too carried away, the ECS has 3 main parts to it, but the main part we’re looking at in terms of why Delta 8 makes us hungry is the CB1 receptor.
The CB1 receptor in the ECS helps regulate sleep, pain, metabolism, anxiety, and appetite.
Think of it like a switchboard.
It signals our body that we’re tired, that we’re in pain, that we’re anxious, and in this case, that we’re feeling hungry.
Delta 8 has many benefits, one of which is improved sleep. Find out how to use D8 for a better night’s rest in our guide.
Now, while further research has to be done in terms of the real cause for WHY Delta 8 makes us hungry, we do know that Delta 8 binds to the CB1 receptor. As stated in our NCI definition above:
Delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (delta-8-THC) binds to the cannabinoid G-protein coupled receptor CB1, located in the central nervous system; CB1 receptor activation inhibits adenyl cyclase, increases mitogen-activated protein kinase activities, modulates several potassium channel conductance and inhibits N- and P/Q-type Ca2+ channels.
However, while it may aid in sleep, reduce pain, relax your body, and increase your appetites, we still need some more research to understand exactly why and how it does its job.
What If I Don’t Want Delta 8 to Make Me Hungry?
Everybody processes THC differently. However, different versions of Delta 8 may have different effects for you. If you find that you’re feeling extra hungry when taking Delta 8 edibles, perhaps switch to a vape instead. Or, set yourself up for success by preparing your favorite snacks or ordering food ahead of time.
It’s also important to note that the extent to which Delta 8 makes you hungry is affected by a lot of different factors. These include:
- The type of Delta 8 you smoke. Different strains have different levels of THC and CBD, which can affect how hungry it makes you. For example, some strains have been reported to make users more hungry than others because they contain higher amounts of D8 (which is known to increase appetite).
- How you consume the Delta 8—for example smoking or vaping versus taking D8 edibles. When you smoke or vape, the chemical compounds are absorbed into your bloodstream rapidly and leave your body quickly; this means that when you stop smoking or vaping, those chemicals are gone almost immediately as well compared to when they’re ingested through food or drink. Vaping has been shown in studies from American Journal of Hospice & Palliative Care that some people say vaping doesn’t make them feel particularly high but does make them feel relaxed.
Many Moonwlkr’s have opted to try THCV – – a cannabinoid that increases energy, improves mood and focus, and suppresses appetite. What does THCV feel like, exactly? Find out what users are saying in our THCV effects guide.
Are There Ways to Prevent Delta 8 Munchies?
There are a number of things that can affect how hungry Delta 8 makes you feel. The amount of delta-8 you take, the strain of cannabis you take, the type of food you eat, whether or not it’s your first time using cannabis, and your body weight are all factors that play into how much hunger is caused by delta-8.
You may be able to moderate how hungry delta 8 makes you by evaluating:
- The amount: If someone takes too little delta-8 they may not feel it at all but if they take too much then they will definitely feel the effects of hunger. If you’re worried about gaining weight or feeling hungry on Delta 8, we recommend consulting with your doctor before using it as part of any treatment plan.
- The strain: Different strains have different levels of cannabinoids in them which means if one strain has more THC than another then it’ll likely be more potent than other strains since THC is known for making people hungry after consuming it (and also feeling high).
- Your cadence of use: If this isn’t your first time consuming cannabis, there might not be any noticeable changes because their bodies have already adjusted to these chemicals; however, if this is your first time ever taking these chemicals, there might be noticeable change because your body isn’t used to them yet, therefore, causing a different reaction than someone who has already been taking these chemicals regularly over many years.
Can Delta 8 Help Improve My Eating Habits?
So far we’ve discussed why Delta 8 THC makes you hungry and ways to prevent hunger while enjoying your high. We know that Delta 8 can certainly give you the munchies, but did you know that Delta 8 can be a helpful tool when it comes to appetite control? Let us explain…
For some, weight management is a lifelong battle. They may feel like they’re constantly fighting hunger pangs, cravings, and the temptation to overeat. Delta 8 THC gummies can help by reducing hunger and promoting feelings of fullness. In addition, Delta 8 THC may help increase metabolism, leading to more efficient calorie burning and weight loss. If you’re struggling to control your appetite, talk to your doctor about whether Delta 8 THC gummies could be right for you.
In the meantime, here are a few ways that Delta 8 THC gummies may help to control appetite.
- Delta 8 THC can bind to the CB1 receptors in the brain. Remember, receptors are responsible for regulating many things such as hunger and appetite. By binding to these receptors, Delta 8 THC can help to reduce hunger signals. That leads to reduced cravings.
- Delta 8 THC may also increase metabolism. That means that your body will be more efficient at burning calories, which can lead to weight loss over time.
- Delta 8 THC helps to regulate the body’s natural hunger signals, making it easier to control your appetite.
- Delta 8 THC can help increase feelings of fullness, helping you eat less overall.
- Delta 8 THC helps to slow down the emptying of the stomach, which can help you feel fuller for longer periods.
- Delta 8 THC can help reduce cravings for unhealthy foods, making it easier to stick to a healthy diet.
What Should I Eat if I Get Hungry?
Vaping is one of the best ways to enjoy Delta 8 THC products. But what is the best food to curb those munchie cravings after your vaping experience? Here are a few ideas to steer you away from the drive thru line:
- Citrus Fruits like Oranges
- Granola Bars
- Chocolate and Fruity Kids Cereals
- A Great Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Vegetable Soup
- Cheese Fries
- A Banana Split
We know it sounds like a strange combination of food, but trust us, each and every one of those items pairs perfectly with your Delta 8 vaping experience. It’s like fine wine. And the best part? Each one of those items will take your munchies game to the next level.
If it’s your first time trying Delta 8 vapes, here’s a complete guide to how many hits you should take.
Are Delta 8 THC gummies more your vibe? The best part of gummies is that while they may take a little longer to kick in, the effects and their duration are totally worth the wait. You don’t need a lot of gummies to feel the buzz, and what you do take can carry you for a very long time. Delta-8 THC gummies were made for folks who really like to enjoy their buzz in a contemplative way — watch the sunrise, look at art, have reflective conversations, and more. Whatever you prefer to do, Delta-8 THC gummies were made for you.
If you have the munchies after eating some Delta 8 THC gummies, you need to find yourself the biggest, juiciest cheeseburger around. We’re not talking about fast food either. No, you want something grilled to perfection. It’s the only way to go.
Ready to Try Delta 8 Yourself?
In conclusion, however the munchies hit you after a night of using Delta 8 THC, remember always to keep some food nearby. And more importantly, don’t forget to bring enough for everyone too! Shop now at Moonwlkr for our full line of Delta 8 THC products and enjoy the stimulating experience that Delta 8 can have on your body AND appetite!